Friday, December 3, 2010

GLIMMER OF HOPE

FRIDAY, 3 DECEMBER, 2010.

Today we've overcome some obstacles but more still loom on the horizon. We're not at liberty to discuss the details at this point. Our return date is now most likely Dec. 17-18.

Today was our best bonding day ever with "S".  He spontaneously began using the English word "pass" (as in "pass the ball to me") in our game of soccer in the playroom. Today he drew, painted and read a few pages out of his Ukrainian school book to us today. Although he speaks Russian, he reads Ukrainian. From my perspective, he reads very fast for a 7 year old. Our interpreter confirmed he reads very well also.
Thankfully my friend Val got me some Ukrainian tapes (thanks Val!) so I am a bit familiar with the language and could understand some of what he was saying. We've all been learning Russian, since that is the language that is most widely understood here. But the closer you go to the west side of the country (away from the border with Russia) Ukrainian predominates and some people don't appreciate you speaking Russian at all! An article in a local paper I was reading today, was about how Ukraine is starting a movement to have Ukrainian be accepted as the national language versus Russian (many still despise the years of Soviet occupation).

It seemed like "S" really opened up to us today. We're all getting more comfortable with each other. Maybe a weight had been lifted from his shoulders since he made the decision to go with us.

3 comments:

  1. I just figured out two days ago that you have been blogging all along and now each day I check in to see what is going on with you and Gavin and Scott. Thank you so much for posting all the details, from the pics to the stories to the descriptions of what is going on and where you are. Progress may be slow I guess, but each step brings you closer to your goal of coming home as a family of four. Keep the faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too look forward to your blog updates each day. It worries me when you don't update! (with good reason, it seems, though I am sure you will persevere)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continue to send positive energy your way. The things you have been through have prepared you for this. Thank you for continuing to write about your story, what a journey this has been. I'm in awe of what you're doing and going through.

    ReplyDelete